Search technology to power business
Algolia was built to help users deliver an intuitive search-as-you-type experience on their websites and mobile apps. We provide a search API used by thousands of customers in more than 100 countries. Billions of search queries are answered every month thanks to the code we push every day into production.
We’re looking for a Director of Worldwide Support Engineering to lead our remote support team. Your role will be to set the team up for success, helping them to grow in all directions (from support to development and productivity) while ensuring they achieve their short-term objectives and long-term goals.
As a director of support engineering you have already led and grown a technical support team spread across multiple time zones. You know how to prioritize your actions: when to work for your team, when to make individual contributions to help them and when to challenge them without micromanaging.
You know how to read and write code — maybe you were a developer before being in the technical support field. The Algolia support team members are providing technical help to developers and look forward to having a leader able to understand their technical challenges even if you may not be the one solving them.
As a leader, you enjoy mentoring, people development and building teams. You have done it before and want to keep learning in this field.
Your mission will be to generate and encourage a supportive, inclusive and collaborative environment to motivate the team to produce their best work and be happy to come in to work everyday.
The support team main missions are:
1. Help our customers with implementing and supporting Algolia in a variety of web and mobile development stacks. Whether it’s helping a developer trying to build the next big thing in their garage or Fortune 500 companies (like Medium, Twitch from Amazon, LVMH, …) giving world-class UX to their millions of users.
2. Teach Algolia knowledge to newcomers by guiding them in their one-day-a-month support slots. Every product engineer does support, one day a month to be connected with the people using their products.
3. Give product feedback to the right engineering teams based on the questions asked by our customers.
4. Code useful tools to provide better support: plugins for our support system, reporting tools and cli or web tools to ease the implementing Algolia.
5. Identify business opportunities for customers in need of pricing adjustments based on their usage.
The support team members are both support agents and developers. Algolia at its heart is a developer-oriented product, and we believe the best way to provide support to developers is to have developers providing support to them.
This is why 40% of the time of our developer support engineers is spent in coding, processes adjustments or product feedback.
Our support team is made of 6 team members as of today, spread on 3 different time zones (Pacific, Eastern and Central European Time Zones). It’s a fully remote team in how we work, but you are more than welcome to join our Paris office as your main workplace too.
We accept candidates legally authorized and working in France or the UK or Czech Republic (any city, remote OK).
YOUR ROLE WILL CONSIST OF:
- Coach and mentor engineers to excel at their work and grow
- Design and implement the future of the team to achieve 24/5, 24/7 and SLA based support
- Hire and onboard engineers to build a diverse and excellent team
- Provide support to customers alongside your team to better understand their day to day
- Provide operational help to team members in order to help them go through their day and week easily
- Provide feedback on how team members are doing support, coding and communication to help them grow
- Be a culture advocate within the company living by our core values
- Implement or adjust process as needed like weekly syncs, team’s handbooks
- Align our team processes with products, sales and field engineering teams
YOU MIGHT BE A FIT IF YOU HAVE:
- Deep interest in people and mentoring
- At least 5 years of technical support experience
- Successful remote team management experience
- A passion for providing quality support
- Enough coding skills to understand the high level features of a codebase
- Great oral and written communication in English
- France, UK, Czech Republic work permit and willing to work in one of those countries. We expect candidates to be able to provide support in office hours (~9am-6pm Central European Time Zone)
NICE TO HAVE:
- Coding skills
- Experience designing or shipping products
- Experience going the extra mile for customers
WE’RE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO CAN LIVE OUR VALUES:
- GRIT – Problem-solving and perseverance capability in an ever-changing and growing environment
- TRUST – Willingness to trust our co-workers and to take ownership
- CANDOR – Ability to receive and give constructive feedback
- CARE – Genuine care about other team members, our clients and the decisions we make in the company
- HUMILITY- Aptitude for learning from others, putting ego aside.
- Private Medical Insurance
- Life and Disability Insurance
- Business Travel Insurance
- Relocation support
- Company Canteen (high standard)
- Flexible work hours (when feasible given support schedule) and unlimited time off
- Competitive pay and equity
- Your choice of computer, phone, keyboard, mouse and external screen. Everything you need to be efficient.
- Coaching and sponsorship to participate and speak at leading industry conferences
- Ongoing professional education opportunities through internal & external workshops, including public speaking, language learning (English/French)
- Fun: we spend time together — team building, socializing and making tools that encourage getting to know teammates across offices and continents.
- Charitable contribution matching
- Unique referral rewards program: refer a candidate, and we’ll donate to your charity of choice
- Corporate flats available for the first months of relocation and when you travel to different offices
- Fully stocked kitchens
- Team workouts
- Meals & happy hours
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.