We make IoT work
Balena’s mission to unlock the potential of physical computing by removing friction for IoT fleet owners. We believe that edge computing is the next major computing paradigm, and every new computing paradigm needs a scalable development platform to match. We’re building that platform with a complete, end-to-end solution that makes it easy for any developer to build applications for IoT and the Edge.
Our software platform helps developers build, deploy and manage code on connected devices. We brought Docker to embedded GNU/Linux devices in 2013 and have been building our toolkit ever since. Our core product is the balenaCloud platform, but we also maintain a variety of successful open source projects including Etcher, openBalena, balenaOS and balenaEngine and made contributions to high-exposure projects such as Docker, Electron, and AppImage. We’ve also recently released our first hardware product, the balenaFin.
Our technology is open, standards-based, and proven in production across a wide range of scenarios from robotics, drones, smart buildings, 3D printing, agriculture, medicine, and more. Our investors include OpenView, Threshold Ventures, Aspect Ventures, GE, and Ericsson.
Balena is a highly distributed, remote-friendly company We rely on clear communication and the rule of “assume positive intent” to help us work together across time zones, cultures and first languages. As an organization, we have little hierarchy, and organize as needed to build complex features and solve big problems.
On being the Head of Support at Balena
As Head of Support at balena, you will lead the efforts to build out and improve our product support process. You will be responsible for developing a strategic vision, improving process designs, and delivering results as we scale. If you have technical chops, a knack for process, and loads of user empathy, this job is for you.
Our customers choose to work with us for their IoT projects because our platform is easy to use, and because we provide them responsive and trustworthy support when they have questions or hit issues. We consistently hear from our customers that our support, provided by the same engineers who build the platform, is world-class.
Our approach to support-driven development has also driven many exciting platform changes and improvements over the years. We see support not only as a place to answer questions and guide our customers, but also as a place to gather valuable feedback that we can feed back into the product.
We also aim to make support as frictionless as possible for our engineers and are constantly looking for ways to not only improve the service we provide to our customers, but also to improve the experience of our support agents through new processes and tools.
- Define and implement productive, scalable support processes and tools that delight both customers and employees
- Work and communicate cross-functionally as the voice of customer support,
- Educate and provide guidance, leadership, mentorship, and support to engineers providing support
- Work with the team to ensure support shifts are optimally scheduled for overall team happiness and customer satisfaction
- Drive the process on knowledge capture, turning support conversations into product improvements and reusable pieces of content and documentation.
- Influence overall product design and strategy using customer feedback and support data metrics
- Design metrics that measure the value of support to users and continuously look for ways to test and make improvements
Need to have:
- 2+ years experience leading and scaling successful support or customer service teams, or similar experience in support roles
- Able to collaborate with cross-functional teams and lead operational and strategic initiatives
- Strong technical background, ideally with an understanding of Linux, Docker and software development and debugging fundamentals.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, including an ability to handle and de-escalate sensitive conversations with customers
- Nuanced understanding of when and how to build process and tooling
- Immense amounts of customer and developer empathy
- Organized and able to handle many threads at once
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to communicate results with highly technical leadership teams
- Self-motivated and able to drive results without too much management.
Nice to Have:
- Experience building IoT and/or hardware projects. Bonus points if you have experience with balenaCloud
- Experience building and leading a support function at a developer-focused company
- Participation in open source software communities
- Appreciation and understanding of multi-channel support approaches (social, community, web, phone, tickets etc) and modern support tooling (Zendesk, Intercom etc)
- Work with an extremely talented, diverse team
- Equipment of your choice
- Flexible working hours
- Flexible vacation policy
- Annual company gathering in an international location
- We send you hardware for side projects!
ABOUT WORKING AT BALENA
We come from 15+ countries, and we embrace a remote culture with flexible hours. To us, this means being highly productive while still maintaining a healthy work-life balance. You need to be able to work remotely, and have a dependable internet access available so you can join video calls.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diverse backgrounds. We maintain a work environment in which team members are treated with respect at all times and in which thoughts and ideas can be shared openly.
We communicate proposals, discuss with others in the team and accept feedback if it makes the result better. We value the ability to learn, which is more important to us than knowledge of specific technologies. We know that learning fast means being outside our comfort zone, which is OK — we’d rather grow than let our assumptions get in our way.
We’re delighted to hear about you! Send us your CV, with a focus on what you can bring to the team.
To apply for this job please visit balena.workable.com.