Learn User Support
A free online course presented by Support Driven and Automattic
Begins January 12, 2019
Support Driven and Automattic are partnering to present a free online course to develop skills in supporting WordPress. The course will include 6 units over 6 weeks and will cover the following topics:
- Goals of great customer support
- Developing your own support philosophy
- WordPress troubleshooting
- Managing challenging users
- Productivity tools
- Support as a career
Pre-requisites: This course is best for students who have at least some familiarity with WordPress. If you’re a complete beginner, creating a (free) account on WordPress.com and working through the lessons at learn.wordpress.com is a great way to get prepared.
Equipment: You’ll need to have a laptop (or desktop computer) equipped with a modern web browser, and consistent access to high-speed wifi in order to stream the videos. We recommend a minimum wifi download speed of 3 Mbps — you can check your speed here. You will not be able to complete the assignments in the workshop using a mobile device.
For our first offering of this course in January 2019, we are enrolling women living in the Asia-Pacific region of the world. You can read more about our recruitment goals here. In the future we’ll expand this course to more people throughout the world. You can sign up here to get notified about future courses.
HOW TO APPLY
If you’re new to WordPress, please visit the Quick Start Guide and work through these five sections of the page:
- Get Started
- Get Comfy
- Get Personality
- Get Configured
- Get Published
Next, add the following to your site:
- At least 3 Posts (need some ideas?)
- At least 3 Pages (try these: Home, About, Contact)
- A Menu that links to each Page
All done? Great! You’re ready to fill out the application form here.
SD Expo Europe Scholarship
Support Driven and Automattic are partnering to offer a scholarship to attend SD Expo Europe 2019 in Belgrade, Serbia (April 1-2, 2019). The scholarship will be awarded to a participant who:
- completes all assignments on time each week
- demonstrates engagement with the course materials
- demonstrates clear development of a strong support philosophy
The scholarship award includes:
- admission to SD Expo Europe 2019
- cost of travel to Belgrade
- lodging in the conference hotel
To be eligible for this award, you must already have a passport which allows entry into Serbia. Details on how to apply for the scholarship will be announced in January.